- You have 223 emails in your inbox.
- You have 45 things on your to-do list.
- You have 50 long-term goals.
- You have 40 books you still 'have to read'.
And what do you do?
- "Oh, I'll get to them later!" you tell yourself.
- "Oh, I'll get to them later!" you explain later.
- "Oh, I'll get to them later!" you scream next month.
But do you get to them later?
Instead, your workload gets even worse:
- You start piling on more to-dos.
- Your to-dos double.
- You do nothing to combat them.
- (Cycle repeats.)
That's how you created a monstrous mountain of unfinished stuff in the first place. Will your workload ever end? Nope. BOOOOO! "So what do I do? What do I do?!"
Simplify Your Life: One IN, One OUT!
The "One IN, One OUT!" process (inspired by one of you productivity peeps) works like this:
- You have 5 children.
- Your significant other wants another one.
- You tell your SO: "WELL, OKAY! IF YOU WANT ONE NEW KID, WE'LL HAVE TO DUMP AN ONE OLD! KAMBOOYSHAKAH!"
- Creating a new long-term goal? Trash or finish an old goal.
- Buying a new book? Trash or finish an old book.
- New email in the inbox? Trash or finish an old email.
The "One IN, One OUT!":
- keeps your workload healthy and happy
- focuses you on the important stuff
- readies you to viciously destroy the bambooyshakah out of the new stuff
Muscles. Simplify your life. Dig the important stuff.
One in. One out.
Posted on February 19
Next tip »