Most criticisms suck:
- You suck.
- NO YOU SUCK
Nothing changes for the better; they hate each other even more; their guards become stronger between the two.
That leads to an artificial relationship that becomes a battle between the two instead of a united front to fight the #%^* ills of the world.
The Best Criticisms
The best criticisms make people:
- Seek to improve
- Throw down their defenses
- United against a common cause
- Instantly happier
How do you do that?
- "You're not reaching your full potential."
- Then, explain ways they can reach their full potential.
Instead of having Bob having his guard up, he subconciously starts thinking:
- 'OMG OMG OMG. I have the CAPACITY to do much better. OMG OMG OMG!!!'
Effective criticisms become compliments.
Bob, instead of focusing on you, focuses on how he can reach his full potential.
You two unite to ensure he will BE ALL HE CAN BE.
Posted on November 19
Next tip »