- You get a Christmas gift. Yay!
- You get a surprise gift on some random day. OMG OMG OMG OMG
A predictable gift brings you joy; an unexpected gift brings you freeeeeaaaakish happiness.
The amount of dopamine (your happy juices) increases much more with unexpected rewards than expected rewards.
But then, like, you don't want to give a gift to somebody and then that somebody tells her friends, but her friends don't get the gift and then they're like NO FAIR and they start hating on you. OH NOES WHAT DO YOU DO????
How do you excite customers with the unexpected and do it fairly?
Try this: automate your gifts/rewards. That is, have a defined secret set of rules when a person gets a certain prize.
- A customer buys 5 items: Free Gift A
- A customer comes in on Tuesdays: Free Gift B
- A customer sends a thank you note: Free Gift C
- Etc. Etc. Etc.
Unexpected gifts WIN.
Customers, employees, vendors, yaddas --> the more unexpected joy you bring them, the stronger relationships you'll build with them, the stronger your business grows.
Automate the unexpected.
Posted on January 31
Next tip »